Policy on Acquisition, Utilisation and Maintenance of Infrastructure
- The careful use of the infrastructure facilities and proper maintenance of the same is the combined and common responsibility of the management, staff and the students of the institution
- The infrastructure of the institution should be used with care. The institution and its premises are to be kept neat and clean.
- Scribbling and graffiti on the walls and furniture are to be avoided. Fine will be levied in case of disfigurement or damage of the building, furniture or other infrastructure.
- The campus and its premises cannot be made use for holding political meetings and processions.
- Unauthorized use of decorations and posters on the walls are prohibited.
- Meetings, conferences and other activities in the college premises require express permission from the principal based on a written request.
- The facilities of the college ground, fitness centre and the auditorium can be made of use of by the public on payment of fees, in compliance with stipulated conditions. The facilities will be available only if there are no academic or other college activities arranged in the ground/auditorium/rooms as the case may be.
- The use of alcohol, smoking and drugs are strictly prohibited on the college campus.
- Infrastructure facilities of the institution will be made available for conducting various external examinations without affecting the routine academic work of the campus. Similarly, infrastructure will also be made available for University and Government Programmes including valuation camps without disturbing the routine academic work of the college.
- The institution is also committed to provide its infrastructure for social causes.
- Necessary safety and security measures shall be provided in laboratories and computer labs. The lay out of the computer labs shall be user friendly to the best possible extent. Care must be taken while using computers and other electronic gadgets and timely servicing of the same will be undertaken.
- All necessary facilities will be provided in the Ladies’ Hostel and Women’s Hall.
- The college ground will be maintained properly under proper supervision so that it remains suitable for practice and conduct of matches.
- Efforts will be taken for the timely maintenance of the infrastructure. Annual repairs and periodical painting will be done.
- AMC or service contracts or appointment of technicians will all be considered for effective maintenance of infrastructure.
- The beautification committee will be responsible for proposing various changes, modifications etc wherever necessary.
- Ragging is strictly prohibited on the college campus.
General Guidelines on Maintenance
- The academic programme of the College is from June to March. The maintenance work in the college shall take place during the summer vacation for the students in the month of April and May to avoid any disruption of academic and co-curricular activities.
- The Heads of Department and other in-charges shall forward their suggestions relating to maintenance work to be done at their departments.
- The computer systems shall be maintained under Annual Maintenance Contracts &/or under the supervision of a full-time technical staff appointed.
- The stock register shall be maintained in every Department and updated periodically.
- Sports and Games equipment shall be purchased periodically as per requirements and the Department of Physical Education shall supervise the utilisation of such facilities.
General Policy on Purchases
- The purchase policy is based on transparency and fairness and is need based.
- A Purchase committee shall be duly constituted for coordinating Purchase activities.
- The Purchase Committee shall call for requisitions from departments and sections.
- The purchase committee shall finalize the purchase of an item by inviting quotations/tenders.
- The purchase of an item is generally based on the lowest rate quoted provided it meets the required standards.
- There are adequate laboratory assistants in the Science Departments viz. Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, and Electronic laboratories to maintain the equipment and laboratories. The Department Head shall be responsible for maintenance and utilisation of the labs and appropriate guidelines shall be given to the users.
- Air conditioners, computers and network facilities shall be maintained either by Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) or serviced by technicians or by agencies/manufacturers as and when need arises. Requests for servicing shall be given to the Bursar, sufficiently in advance.
- The stock in the labs shall be verified annually, and damaged ones are discarded. Electrical and Electronic equipment are checked regularly at the end of every semester.
- The computers available in Administrative offices, Departments and Laboratories shall be maintained through Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) and/or by a dedicated staff of the College.
- The Computer rooms shall be dust free and properly cleaned.
- The classroom facilities such as whiteboards, blackboards, electrical fittings and furniture, etc. shall be regularly cleaned and maintained.
- The departments will be given the charge of classrooms coming under their purviews. The Head of the Department and Class Teachers ensure that cleanliness is maintained in the classrooms and surroundings.
- Disfiguring of walls and equipments in the classrooms will be dealt with severely.
- The Librarian, and the team of support staff, shall look after the maintenance of the library books, journals, periodicals, furniture, electronic equipment, computers and software.
- Pest Management measures shall be periodically carried out in the library.
- Requests for additional facilities shall be given to the authorities concerned in advance
- Efforts shall be taken to preserve the books and journals, dust free.
- The Physical Education Department is entrusted with the proper maintenance of ground and gymnasium.
- Necessary instructions are given to the students as to how to use the ground, basket ball court, gymnasium equipment etc.
- It has to be ensured that preventive maintenance is done in time.
- Proper records regarding upkeep and maintenance shall be done.
- Adequate parking facilities for bicycles, motorised two wheelers and four-wheelers are available at various locations.
- Proper directions and sign boards shall be given to staff and students as to where they can park their vehicles.
- Vehicles are not permitted beyond a particular point and direction boards are installed.
Electrical and Water facilities
- The College Bursar is in charge of the maintenance of the physical infrastructural facilities. There are housekeeping staff members and the college has also made arrangements with electricians and plumbers who come to the campus on a call for necessary repair and installation works. The Bursar will coordinate the repairs and maintenance works.
- The generators shall be properly maintained by the housekeeping staff.
- The garden and other facilities are maintained with the help of a gardener who is appointed by the management. Timely watering of plants shall be ensured. The College beautification committee will be in charge of the same.
- The rain water harvesting and open well re-charge facilities shall be supervised by the College Bursar.
- Security personnel shall be deployed in the college and hostel. Night security personnel shall also be available.
- CCTV is installed in all the prime locations of the Campus. An arrangement is made with the supplier for the proper follow up and maintenance.
- It is also ensured that proper safety measures such as fire extinguishers are arranged at every floor.
Policy on Green Initiatives and Environment Friendliness
- As an institution located at the heart of Kottayam, the institution is bent on maintaining environmental balance.
- The campus adopts Green initiatives in the form of planting trees around, keeping the campus plastic free, adopting recycling enterprises and effective waste management.
- Most single-use plastics are banned on the campus. The college promotes cloth bags, cloth banners, paper cups etc. instead of plastic. Necessary awareness and sensitisation shall be given to students regarding green initiatives and environmental- friendly measures.
- The institution makes use of rain water harvesting in its efforts to preserve water resources.
- Motor vehicles are not permitted beyond a point on the college campus.
- The institution promotes public transportation mode.
- The institution is committed to energy saving and implementing proper energy management measures. LED bulbs shall be installed in the new buildings and replacements done in the old buildings shall be using LED bulbs.
- Necessary efforts shall be taken to install solar panels for energy.
- Proper waste disposal measures shall be followed. Necessary arrangements are to be made in this regard.
- The waste from the laboratories has to be disposed of properly.
- The institution maintains a nature club to consolidate its pro-environment efforts.
- All Students Clubs and forums and Subject Associations shall involve in conducting programmes, promoting campaigns and initiating activities that help to preserve the nature and bring more environment consciousness, not only to the Baselian members, but also to the community as a whole.
- The college is also committed to undertake Environmental and Green Auditing periodically and implement the suggestions.
- Beyond the campus environmental promotional measures and campaigns shall be conducted by various forums as a part of Institutional Social Responsibility.
Divyangjan Friendly Policies
- There shall not be any discrimination against individuals with any sort of disabilities
- Divyangjan shall be treated with due respect and care.
- For admissions, 5 % of seats shall be available to them over and above the sanctioned seats.
- Children with Special Needs shall also be considered for admissions
- Special motivation shall be given to students with disability
- All relaxations available for examinations shall be provided to them and steps shall be taken to ensure that they get extra time, bonus marks and the facility of Scribe or Interpreter, as the case may be, for examinations
- To ensure free movements, ramps shall be available wherever possible.
- New buildings may have the provisions of lift to ensure barrier free movement.
- Special facilities like equipment, audio notes, scree-reading software etc. shall be arranged.
- Separate toilet facilities shall be arranged for Physically Disabled Persons.
- Scholarships shall be arranged for students with disabilities.
- A special page shall be available for the disabled students in the college website and a separate Internal Complaints Committee shall be established for the benefit of such students.
- The disabled students shall be encouraged to participate in all academic and all possible co-curricular and extra-curricular activities including field trips, Industrial Visits etc.
- Staff members shall be oriented for providing special care to disabled students by identifying the nature of disability and the requirements of each student.
- Staff members with disability shall be assigned duties considering the nature of disabilities.
- Any act of discrimination or offence against divyangjan shall be dealt with severely and there will be no tolerance if any such incident is reported.
- The Library and Reading Room with reprographic facilities shall be utilised to the optimum level.
- Necessary Computer and Internet facilities and software shall be provided so as to ensure the automation of library usage,
- The library shall provide to staff, students and research scholar, without any prejudice, all available materials that help in their academic pursuits.
- The General Rules of the Library (as mentioned below) shall be strictly observed.
- Time: 8.30 am to 5.30 pm on all working days.
- Only writing materials can be taken inside the reading room and library.
- Three Readers’ tickets to PG students and 2 Readers’ tickets to UG students will be issued against which books can be borrowed from the library.
- Books must be returned within 14 days of the date of issue, failing which a fine of Re. 1 per day will be charged per book. Mutilation of books & magazines is a serious offence and the borrowers will have to replace the damaged books at their cost.
- The loss of books should be immediately reported to the librarian and the borrower must either replace the book or compensate for it as decided by the librarian.
- All books issued from the library shall be returned without fail on / before the last working day of the academic year. Sub-lending of book is strictly forbidden.
- Books must be carefully examined at the time of issue and borrowers shall point out to the Librarian any damage or mutilation on the books they are taking.
- The Principal and the Librarian have the right to recall any book with 24 hour notice.
- SILENCE shall be strictly observed in all sections of the library.
- All library arrears should be cleared by the students before they receive their hall tickets for university examinations or before obtaining the T.C if they leave before the completion of the course.